Aunt Lizzie Remembered- A tribute
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Maxwell Holt Watlington
July 14, 1911 - May 5, 2007
Our Steel Magnolia
A pencil sketch by nephew;
Bob L Holt

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Maxwell Holt

Generation No. 1

was born July 14, 1911 in Duplin Co., NC, and died May 05, 2007 in Reidsville, Rockingham Co., NC.  She married
JAMES LEO WATLINGTON1 April 25, 1936, son of JOHN WATLINGTON and LENA TURNER.  He was born June 08,
1910, and died December 18, 1975.


Robert P. Holt, Head of Household:  age- 46
Mabel V., Wife:  age - 43
Lizzie M., Daughter:  age - 18
Romulus L., Son:  age - 16

From Col. Hugh Durwood Maxwell, Jr. USAF, retired

Right after trying to explain the origins of the Holt Mansion I ran into a letter I got from Dr. Graham with a picture  of
Miss Marian in 1968 not long before he died.  It got me to thinking about those days in the 30's. One more tale and
I'll hush.

Lizzie was always the quiet, gentle steel magnolia like her mother, not quite the fiery, red-headed spirit as Mary
Maxwell (Margaret) Holt. She had gone to Reidsville and gotten a job with the cigarette factory.  She didn't have a
car, but her wacky friend Maude Birdsong did.  Lizzie invited Maude to visit the Holt Mansion, with Maude providing
the transportation.  They picked up Rommie and me in Chapel Hill, where Rommie promptly took over the car for the
duration of the trip and banished Lizzie and Maude to the back seat of Maude's car.  Maude tolerated the situation
well and visited often.  She joined all the other guests who liked to rough it at the Holt Mansion.  In the winter she
wore her "fuh".  When someone told her it was "fur" not "fuh" she declared that  Fir was a tree and a Fuh was a
coat.  Maude found a wen on her cat and pulled it out and cut it off with her scissors.  The Veterinarian advised her
that the cat HAD BEEN a Tom.

If I am telling any of this wrong, Lizzie can correct it.
I'm through now. Regards, Hugh Maxwell

Lizzie went to Reidsville visiting. When the "Christmas season workers" were hired at American Tobacco Co., she
was asked if she'd like to work during the season to make a little spending money. She did and stayed.  She lived
with a family of Whites. Leo Watlington's family lived across the street and soon they began to date.  Any time there
were differences, Leo would go back home, sit in the yard and accompanied by his Ukulele, would serenade her
with his rendition of "Who's Sorry Now?"

Story as told to Robert L. Holt by Lizzie Watlington on Dec. 26, 2000

From :  David Morris <>
Sent :  Tuesday, April 4, 2006 9:18 AM
To :  <>, <>, "Ronnie Holt" <>, "Larry Holt"
<>, "Mary Holt Adams" <>, "Buddy Marson" <>,
"Alvin Clay Watlington" <>, "Hugh Maxwell" <>
Subject :  Note from Gretchen

|  |  | Inbox

Good morning all,
First of all, welcome Daisy Kathryn!  Hope all is going well with the Learys'. Secondly, Trina, hope you are doing well
this morning, and that the final report will be negative.  Thirdly, Miss Lizzie apparently had a stroke yesterday
morning.  I found her flushed, temp of 104.8 (that was rectally which reads higher than orally), unresponsive, heart
rate up, and respirations up-due partly to high temp.  The "old" nurse in me came out, and I gave her a sponge
bath (tepid) which brought her temp down about a degree.  Put a call in to the doctor's office which was busy, so left
a message for the nurse or doctor to call back.  In my heart, I did not want to put her in the hospital because I knew
what all she would be put through.  Watched and waited until about 2 o'clock during which time the fever broke, and
David got home.  We talked about it all and decided to keep her here.  Called her minister who was out, but the
associate pastor came in the evening.  He has known her
for years.  She was responding, hard to understand, and did not indicate that she knew any of us.  Her temp was up
and down (not unusual with a stroke).  David got hold of Ed Hawkins, our doctor, who is also a friend.  I had talked
with Ed back in Jan. or Feb. when I took Mother in for a "well" visit, as he had never seen her professionally.  He
totally understands my feelings about too much medication, etc.  He told David he would do whatever we wanted,
and agreed on just letting her stay here.  I slept in the room with her last night.  We both had a restless night, but
she is now able to turn herself, and is moving all extremities.  This morning, she will answer me, but does not know
me.  When I washed her up, and changed her she was very feisty.  "Leave me alone!..Quit!...Do you hear
me?!......"  When I tried to clean her mouth she bit me.  So, there we are.  She could go like this for quite a while.  
Her temp is normal, and she can drink through a straw.  Urine output was nil, during the night.  May pick up when I
get enough fluid in her.  Just wanted to let you all know what is going on.  Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  
She can still be funny.  I told her we thought she had a "little" stroke yesterday, she said, "I'm sorry", but with a
scowl.  I said, "Can you smile for me?"  With a scowl, she said, "I am smiling".  So there!
Love to all,

Aunt Lizzie peacefully last evening (May 5, 2007) at Dave & Gretchen's where she had been living for the past
several years.

REIDSVILLE - Elizabeth "Lizzie" Maxwell Holt Watlington, 95, of 151 Rhinewood Lane, died on Saturday, May 5,
2007, at her residence. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 8, 2007, at Evergreen Memory
Gardens with Dr. Bill Duke and Rev. Dave Huggins officiating. Lizzie was born in Duplin County, N.C., to the late
Mabel Vane Maxwell and Robert Plunkett Holt. She was preceded in death by her husband, James Leo Watlington;
sisters, Mary Margaret Richardson, Bessie Irene Holt; brothers, Robert Flavious Holt and Romulus Laurin Holt.
Lizzie is survived by her daughter, Gretchen Holt Morris and husband, David of Reidsville; grandchildren, Todd
Morris of Omaha, Neb., Tracy Lynn Shaw and husband, Gary of Reidsville, many nieces and nephews. She was a
faithful member of First Baptist Church for as long as she was able to attend and was a member of the Fideles
Sunday school class. For many years she worked for the ASC office, doing warehouse work during tobacco sales,
and later, retired from Sears. Her life was filled with many friends, all of whom she loved dearly; she enjoyed doing
for others and taking care of her pets. A special than you to Marie Scales, Ruth Martin, Sherah Lowe, and the
nurses at Unified Home Care for their help and loving care of our mother. The family will receive friends at
Wilkerson Funeral Home on Monday, May 7, from 7-9 p.m. and other times at the home of David and Gretchen
Morris, 151 Rhinewood Lane. Memorial contributions may be made to First Baptist Church, 409 S. Main Street,
Reidsville, N.C. 27320 or the charity of one's choice. Condolences may be sent to (Paid

Memorial sent by Bob L Holt on May 8, 2007.  He attended the visitation and funeral.

Burial: May 08, 2007, Evergreen Gardens, Reidsville, Rockingham Co., NC

Federal Census: 1930 - NC Rockingham Co., Reidsville TWP (W Part) Roll 1717 Book 2, page 200a

Social Security Death Index:
s.s# 241-10-3761

Death Localities:

27320, Reidsville, Rockingham Co., NC

i.        GRETCHEN HOLT12 WATLINGTON2, b. October 25, 1938; m. (1) DAVID JOHN MORRIS2; b. January 04,
1943; m. (2) HERBERT LEE WEICKUM2, June 27, 1963; b. June 26, 1942.


1.  1930 Federal Census.
2.  Gretchen Watlington Morris.
Back to BobLHolt's homepage